Garage door repair and installation is one of the most important investments you will make in your home as a homeowner. Unfortunately, there are far too many companies who are underqualified or dishonest when it comes to performing garage door repair. It doesn’t matter what market or what industry, there will always be those who call themselves professionals that actually aren’t The risks of hiring one of these contractors can be both costly and dangerous for your home and your family. We have compiled a list of some helpful tips to avoid these types of companies while finding the best garage door repair company for you.
Five Helpful Tips to Find the Best Garage Door Repair Company
- Do your due diligence. Start with a Google search and see what kind of rating each company has. Ask around to friends, neighbors, relatives and so on. Ask for recommendations on Facebook. Be sure to keep an eye out as to who responds to your inquiries via social media, as they might have an agenda as to why they are recommending a business. People you know, like family and friends, don’t have much to gain when it comes to recommendations – unless of course, they have garage door repair businesses themselves. If companies have multiple names or advertise excessively, this could be a red flag that they might be untrustworthy.
- Request several free quotes/ bids. If you can, get several different bids from garage door repair contractors. The more options you have, the more likely you are to find a quality garage door specialist, not to mention get the lowest possible price that you can find.
- Check up on their physical location. Do they have a physical location? A dead giveaway of a scam artist is that they don’t have any physical address listed online, or anywhere. Most reputable businesses these days should have physical addresses that are visible via Google Maps, and Google Street View. If they don’t, be careful. This isn’t to say that all such businesses are like this, of course not. But be sure to keep this in mind.
- Do they have a website? In today’s day and age, the vast majority of successful businesses should have a website. Companies without websites aren’t automatically untrustworthy, as of course, some people are just old school. But when researching garage door repair companies, be sure to view their website if they have one.
- Research BBB ratings. For many years, the Better Business Bureau has been the gold standard for rating businesses in many industries. If the company you are looking into has a low rating, you might want to steer clear.
Other Factors to Consider When Choosing a Garage Door Repair Company
In addition to the five tips above, you might want to ask yourself the following questions… Does this company do emergency repairs? Do they offer comprehensive pricing? Will they walk me through the process of garage door repair or installation? Do I feel comfortable doing business with them? If the answer to any of these is no, you might want to think twice about who you hire to perform your important garage door repair services.